Monday, April 30, 2012

Literacy Level 1

so here's the deal: i went to fashion high school. which means that while everyone else with whom i would end up in college was taking chemistry and english lit, i was learning how to draft patterns and drape garments. don't get me wrong, i got a quality education, but i missed out on some of the good stuff like quality reading.

this semester's course load seems to be permissive to some leisurely reading. so, my question to you faithful readers, is which of the classics should i get my little hands on and read? which is your favorite?

2 comments:

Austin and Heidi said...

Don't get me started...really I could go forever. Here are some top favs:

Jayne Eyre
(Fiction-One of the first nonreligious books that helped me see God and myself differently)

Wuthering Heights
(Fiction-first time you read it it's depressing. Second time you read it there's a lot of symbolism and you get a lot more out of it. One of the few books I enjoy reading twice)

Time For Andrew
(Children's lit, fiction- boy going back to the 1800's...I like children's literature)

Count of Monte Cristo
(Fiction, classic-long read so maybe this is more of a summer read. But captivating and ten times better than the movie)

Where the Red Fern Grows
(Fiction-about growing up. You might cry)

Black Like Me
(nonfiction-a reporter goes back to the deep south first and decides people treat him a certain way because he is white. The second time he changes the pigment of his skin to see how it's really like to live in the south. Two enthusiastic thumbs up)

Beauty
Fiction- the first version of "Beauty and the Beast" before Disney ruined it. Much more depth and meaning than Disney put into it. Don't roll your eyes, it's a great book! But there are so many versions. If you read it and don't like it, you got the wrong version ;)

To Kill a Mockingbird
(fiction- this is as classic as it gets. The book "The Help" took some inspiration from this book, but I like this better than "The Help". A lot of symbolism and issues that make you stop and think.)

Heaven is Here (nonfiction/biography-written by Stephanie Nielson. Woman who survived a plan crash and burned 80% of here body. Very inspiring)

And now I will show restraint. Not all of these are classics, but most are. Happy reading!

Cami said...

Oh I love it! Sam I just started reading "I Capture the Castle" I am only in Chap. 3 but it would be kinda cool to read it at the same time as you :) So far it has proven to be witty. Warning: there has been significant foreshadowing of romance. :)